Picture this: You’re on a camping adventure under the starry skies. The firewood crackles, the marshmallows are perfectly toasted, and your favorite beverage is…wait, where is your water?
No one wants to be parched in the wilderness. Choosing reliable water storage containers for drinking water on camping trips is paramount for any outdoor adventure.
In this blog post, we’ll spill the beans on the best camping water containers in 2023 , so you can focus more on the marshmallows and less on your thirst.
Your camping checklist might be extensive, but let’s face it, water is the real MVP. It’s the LeBron James of camping essentials, the Beyoncé of survival. Without it, you’re left high and dry, literally. So why risk dehydration on your outdoor adventures when you can invest in a quality portable water container?
We’ve done the heavy lifting to make sure you don’t have to. After hours of research and rigorous testing, we’ve narrowed down the top choices for the best camping water containers in 2023.
So buckle up, grab a snack (preferably something hydrating), and let’s dive deep into the world of water containers.
- Igloo 6-Gallon Camping Water Container – Best Camping Water Container ( Overall)
- GSI Outdoors Folding Water Cube – Best Collapsible Water Container
- Dometic GO Hydration Water Jug – Best Camping Water Container ( Runner- Up)
- Scepter Military Water Container – Most Durable Container
- UST Roll-Up Water Carrier – Best Budget-friendly Camping water Container
What Are the Best Water Containers for Camping?
Now, you might be thinking, “It’s just a water container, what’s the big deal?” Well, my dear reader, it’s more than just a plastic water container. It’s your survival partner, your hydration companion, and let’s not forget, your unofficial shower buddy. Choosing the wrong one could leave you with a bitter taste in your mouth, or even worse, a leaky mess in your backpack.
Think about it. When you’re camping, water isn’t just for quenching your thirst. It’s for cooking, cleaning, and perhaps even putting out the occasional accidental campfire (we’ve all been there). So choosing a container that’s durable, easy to use, and able to store enough water for your needs is crucial.
So, without further ado, let’s dive into the details. Whether you’re a camping guru or a novice camper, we’ll help you make a splash with your next camping water container purchase.
Let’s make a ripple in your camping experience, shall we?
1. Igloo 6-Gallon Camping Water Container
The Igloo 6-Gallon Camping Water Container is a reliable choice for those seeking a simple yet sturdy water container. It’s crafted from BPA-free plastic, ensuring the water you store is safe for consumption.
With its generous 6-gallon capacity, this container is sure to keep you hydrated throughout your camping trip.
Going into more detail, this water storage container features a spout and two handles for easy handling and pouring.
The spout stores inside the container, ensuring it doesn’t get lost when not in use.
Its durable construction and high capacity makes it a reliable choice for rugged outdoor use.
However, it’s worth noting that this water container does not come with a spigot or tap option like most camping water containers, and the small top opening might make it a bit difficult to clean.
- Capacity: 6 gallons
- Materials: BPA free Plastic
- Construction: Features a spout and two handles for easy handling and pouring. The spout stores inside the container.
- Large capacity
- Easy-to-use spout that stores inside the container
- Durable construction
|– Large capacity|
– Easy-to-use spout
|– No provided spigot or tap option|
– Small top opening makes it harder to clean
2. GSI Outdoors Folding Water Cube
The GSI Outdoors Folding Water Cube is an innovative water container that offers flexibility in size. Depending on your needs, you can choose a capacity of 2.6 gallons, 3.9 gallons or 5.3 gallons.
Made from BPA, BPS, and BPF free polyethylene, these collapsible containers ensure your water storage is safe for consumption.
This cube stands out due to its small packed profile, making it a great choice for campers who need to maximize space.
It features a spigot for easy water access and one handle for convenient carrying.
While it doesn’t collapse down completely flat, it still offers a compact solution compared to traditional water containers.
Some users have reported signs of stress where the plastic bends, so it’s recommended to handle it with care.
- Capacity: 2.6 gallons, 3.9 gallons, or 5.3 gallons
- Materials: Polyethylene, BPA, BPS, and BPF free
- Construction: Features a spigot and one handle for easy handling and pouring.
- Small packed profile
- Good water flow
- BPA, BPS, and BPF free
|– Small packed profile|
– Good water flow
– BPA, BPS, and BPF free
|– Doesn’t collapse down flat|
– Signs of stress where the plastic bends
3. Dometic GO Hydration Water Jug
The Dometic GO Hydration Water Jug is another solid choice for a camping water container.
With a capacity of 2.9 gallons, it’s a bit smaller than some options but still offers ample water storage for most camping trips.
Its construction from LDPE plastic, which is BPA-free, ensures that your water is safe to consume.
The Dometic GO Hydration Water Jug stands out for its thoughtful design, which includes a spout, a spigot, and two webbed handles.
The dual pouring options make it versatile, while the webbed handles maximize storage space. It’s easy to fill and is built with durability in mind, making it a reliable choice for longer trips.
However, it’s somewhat awkward to carry, and the price, especially for the compatible water faucet, is quite high.
- Capacity: 2.9 gallons
- Materials: LDPE plastic, BPA free
- Construction: Features a spout, spigot, and two webbed handles for various handling and pouring options.
- Two options for pouring out your water
- Easy to fill
- Webbed carry handles maximize your storage space
- Durable construction
|– Two options for pouring out your water|
– Easy to fill
– Webbed carry handles maximize your storage space
|– Awkward to carry|
– Expensive (compatible water faucet is very expensive)
4. Scepter Military Water Container
The Scepter Military Water Container is a robust option for those who prioritize durability and reliability. With a capacity of 5.2 gallons, it offers a good amount of storage for water.
It’s crafted from BPA-free plastic, ensuring the water you store is safe for consumption.
The Scepter Military plastic Containers are designed for rugged use, making it a favorite among military personnel and outdoor enthusiasts alike.
It comes with a nozzle and a single handle for easy use and carrying.
Its cap is designed to make water flow easy.
However, the Scepter water container is on the pricier end of the spectrum. Also, keep in mind that it has a strong chemical smell when first removed from its packaging, and the lid tends to leak when the container is placed on its side.
- Capacity: 5.2 gallons
- Materials: Plastic, BPA free
- Construction: Features a nozzle and one handle for easy handling and pouring
- Very durable
- Easy to use cap
- Great water flow
|– Very durable|
– Easy to Use
– Great Flow
|– Very expensive|
– Strong chemical smell when first removed from its packaging
– Lid leaks when on its side
5. UST Roll-Up Water Carrier
The UST Roll-Up Water Carrier is a flexible and collapsible water storage system that helps you save space, designed especially for camping or car camping trips and great outdoors.
As the name suggests, it can be rolled up when not in use, making it a compact addition to your camping gear. But when unfurled, it provides ample storage for water, ensuring you and your fellow campers remain well-hydrated.
This foldable water container carrier comes with a spout that can be opened or closed, ensuring easy pouring and preventing unintentional spillage.
- Capacity: 2.7 gallons
- Materials: Polyurethane
- Construction: Features a Spigot and two handles (on either side)
- Easily affordable
- Small Packed Size
- Two handles ( on either side)
- Compact packed size
- Clear measurement markings
- Two handles on either side
- The spigot is placed at a height that makes it challenging to drain out all the water completely.
What to Look for When Choosing the Best Water Container for Camping?
- Capacity: The capacity of the water container should be enough to cater to your hydration needs during the entire camping trip.
- Material: Ensure that the water container is made from durable and safe materials. Preferably, it should be BPA-free to protect you from chemicals.
- Ease of Use: Look for features that make the water container easy to use. This could include a spout, a spigot, or handles for easy carrying and pouring.
- Durability: The water container should be robust enough to withstand the rough outdoor conditions during camping.
- Price: Finally, the price of the water container should be within your budget.
How to Use a Water Container for Camping?
- Filling: Use a clean water source to fill up your container to its max capacity. If you’re unsure about the water quality, it’s best to treat it before drinking.
- Carrying: Ensure the lid is tightly closed before carrying the container to avoid any leakages.
- Cleaning: After your trip, thoroughly clean the container to remove any residual tastes and prevent bacterial growth.
Comparison of Products
|Igloo 6-Gallon Camping Water Container||6 gallons||BPA-free Plastic||Spout and two handles||Large capacity, easy-to-use, durable, inexpensive||No spigot, small top opening|
|GSI Outdoors Folding Water Cube||2.6, 3.9, or 5.3 gallons||BPA, BPS, BPF-free Polyethylene||Spigot and one handle||Compact, inexpensive, good water flow||Doesn’t collapse flat, plastic stress|
|Dometic GO Hydration Water Jug||2.9 gallons||BPA-free LDPE plastic||Spout, spigot, two handles||Versatile, easy to fill, compact, durable||Awkward to carry, expensive|
|Scepter Military Water Container||5.2 gallons||BPA-free Plastic||Nozzle and one handle||Durable, easy to use, great water flow||Expensive, chemical smell, leaky lid|
|UST Roll-Up Water Carrier||10 liters||Not specified||Not specified||Not specified||Not specified|
To wrap things up, choosing the best water container for your camping or car camping trips is an essential step in your camping preparation.
The ideal water container for camping seamlessly integrates durability, portability, and user-friendliness.
It’s not just about quenching your thirst; it’s about safeguarding your health and making your camping experience more enjoyable.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the importance of a BPA-free water container?
BPA-free water containers don’t contain Bisphenol A, a chemical that can seep into water and cause potential health effects.
How often should I clean my camping water container?
Clean your water container after every camping trip and before storing it to prevent bacterial growth and unpleasant tastes.
Can I store other beverages in my water container?
Yes, you can store other beverages, but remember to clean the container thoroughly afterwards to prevent residual tastes.
How can I remove the plastic taste from my water container?
Fill the container with a mixture of vinegar and water and let it sit for a few hours. Rinse thoroughly before use.
Does the size of the water container matter?
Yes, it does. A larger container has high capacity to store water but might be harder to carry, especially when full. Choose a size that suits your hydration needs and carrying capabilities.
Deeba & Matt
About the Authors
Intrepid content creators and relentless hiking enthusiasts. With a passion for travel and adventure, Matt & Deeba are never one to shy away from a daring challenge.