Planning a trip to The Smoky Mountains and wondering where to stay?
Well, here’s a list of the top best hotels in Gatlinburg by a local ( no points for guessing its me), putting up her best experiences to save you the trouble of searching!!!
Gatlinburg offers a diverse range of accommodations to suit the needs and preferences of every traveler. Whether you’re looking for a historic inn with convenient access to popular attractions or a pet-friendly hotel close to national park trails, there’s something for everyone in this picturesque mountain town.
Check out these convenient downtown hotels that cater to various needs and preferences.
- Pet-friendly accommodations: Bring your furry friend along to hotels like Black Bear Inn and Zoders Inn & Suites.
- Proximity to the main strip and its attractions: Stay near the action at hotels like Hilton Garden Inn and River Terrace Resort.
- Amenities for families: Keep the kids entertained at hotels like Ober Gatlinburg and Margaritaville Resort with game rooms and play areas.
- budget-friendly choices: stay in budget-friendly hotels like Econo Suites and newly renovated properties such as The Lodge.
Whether you’re seeking fun activities or easy access to hiking trails, there’s a perfect downtown Gatlinburg hotel for you. Explore the various options and find your ideal home away from home in this beautiful mountain town.
Table of Contents
Historic Gatlinburg Inn
Experience the tradition of the historic Gatlinburg Inn, established in 1937, offering rustic decor and modern amenities like flat-screen TVs, coffee makers, free wifi, and complimentary continental breakfast.
Outdoor Pool with Mountain Views
Take a refreshing dip in the outdoor pool at the Gatlinburg Inn, located next to the Gatlinburg Sky Lift Park, and enjoy stunning mountain views after a day of exploring the Great Smoky Mountains National Park or strolling along the bustling downtown strip.
Porch with Rocking Chairs
Unwind on the porch of the Gatlinburg Inn, adorned with classic rocking chairs overlooking popular attractions such as Ripley’s Aquarium of the Smokies and Ober Gatlinburg, and soak up some southern hospitality at one of the most iconic Gatlinburg hotels.
River Terrace Resort on Parkway Strip
Discover the River Terrace Resort, located on the Parkway Strip, offering two outdoor pools and spacious guest rooms with stunning views.
Adjacent to Ripley’s Aquarium of the Smokies, this resort is within walking distance of many popular attractions, making it the perfect choice for those seeking convenience.
Proximity to Ripley’s Aquarium of the Smokies
Just a stone’s throw away from one of Gatlinburg’s top attractions, the River Terrace Resort is the ideal location for those looking to explore Ripley’s Aquarium of the Smokies.
Experience interactive exhibits and live shows featuring marine life like sharks, sea turtles, penguins, and more.
Walking Distance from Major Attractions
- Gatlinburg SkyLift Park: Enjoy breathtaking views of Great Smoky Mountains National Park as you ride up Crockett Mountain on a scenic chairlift.
- Gatlinburg Trolley: Hop aboard one of these convenient trolleys that run through downtown Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge for an affordable way to explore all there is to see.
- Ober Gatlinburg: Experience year-round fun at this mountain-top amusement park complete with skiing, snowboarding, ice skating, and an alpine slide.
For those looking to experience all that Gatlinburg has to offer, River Terrace Resort offers an ideal setting with its range of amenities and convenient location.
Margaritaville Resort Gatlinburg Experience
Escape to the Smoky Mountains and experience the island life at Margaritaville Resort Gatlinburg with cozy rooms, free WiFi, and island-inspired amenities.
St Somewhere Spa
Relax and rejuvenate at Margaritaville’s on-site St Somewhere Spa with massages, facials, and body treatments.
Indoor/Outdoor Pool Area Complete with Waterslide
- The License to Chill Pool: Lounge in the sun or slide down the exciting waterslide at this outdoor pool area.
- Rooftop Terrace & Hot Tub: Take in stunning mountain views while relaxing in one of two rooftop hot tubs.
- Fins Up Fitness Center: Keep up with your workout routine at the state-of-the-art fitness center.
Guests can also enjoy dining options at Margaritaville Resort Gatlinburg including Landshark Bar & Grill or grab a quick bite at Joe Merchant’s Coffee & Provisions.
Black Bear Inn & Suites – A Hiker’s Paradise
Calling all outdoor enthusiasts. Black Bear Inn & Suites is the perfect hotel for hikers and campers, located near the entrance of Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
Heated all-season swimming pool and waterslide
Relax after a long day on the trails in Black Bear Inn’s heated all-season swimming pool with a fun waterslide for both kids and adults.
- Bring your furry friends: Black Bear Inn offers pet-friendly accommodations so you don’t have to leave your four-legged companions at home.
- Nearby dog parks: Take your pets to one of the several dog parks within driving distance from the hotel to stretch their legs.
- Dog-friendly attractions: Many local attractions like Ober Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge welcome dogs, just make sure they’re leashed.
Not only is Black Bear Inn conveniently located near some of Gatlinburg’s best hiking trails in Great Smoky Mountains National Park, but guests also have easy access to other nearby attractions such as Wyndham Gatlinburg Skylift Park and Margaritaville Resort. Book now for an unforgettable mountain getaway.
The Lodge – Stay Active on Vacation
Experience a newly renovated hotel at The Lodge, featuring private balconies, a fitness room, and outdoor sports facilities including basketball courts, a racketball court, and a picnic area.
Outdoor Sports Facilities
- Basketball Courts: Challenge your friends or family members to a game of hoops right outside your door.
- Racketball Court: Keep up with your daily exercise routine by playing a round of racketball on-site.
- Picnic Area: Enjoy some fresh air while having lunch or dinner outdoors in the designated picnic area.
Hydra Spa for Relaxation
In addition to staying active during your trip to Gatlinburg, The Lodge also offers relaxation opportunities through its Hydra Spa, perfect for unwinding after exploring nearby attractions such as the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and Ober Gatlinburg ski resort.
Choose from massages, facials, or body wraps tailored to suit individual needs after long days spent hiking trails within Pigeon Forge or visiting popular destinations along the downtown strip.
No matter what type of traveler you are – adventure seeker or relaxation enthusiast – The Lodge provides everything needed for an unforgettable mountain getaway experience.
For other accommodations in Gatlinburg, explore Hilton Garden Inn Gatlinburg, Black Bear Inn, Margaritaville Resort Gatlinburg , Wyndham Gatlinburg, River Terrace Resort and Zoders Inn.
Check out Hilton Garden Inn Gatlinburg, Black Bear Inn, Margaritaville Resort Gatlinburg, Wyndham Gatlinburg, River Terrace Resort, or Zoders Inn.
Rustic Riverside Retreats in Gatlinburg
Experience the best of both worlds with peaceful stays at riverside retreats like Riverhouse at the Park, Greystone Lodge, and Bearskin Lodge on the River, all just minutes away from the bustling Gatlinburg strip.
These lodges are just a stone’s throw away from popular attractions like the Gatlinburg SkyBridge, Ober Gatlinburg, and Ripley’s Aquarium of the Smokies, as well as delicious restaurants and unique shopping experiences.
Serene Riverside Locations
- Riverhouse at the Park: Enjoy private balconies overlooking Little Pigeon River and amenities like an outdoor pool and hot tubs.
- Greystone Lodge: Cozy up next to a beautiful mountain stream after exploring nearby hiking trails in Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
- Bearskin Lodge on the River: Experience rustic charm with modern amenities, including a lazy river, play area for kids, and fitness center.
Book your stay at one of these great spots for a peaceful retreat in the heart of Gatlinburg.
Econo Suites – Affordable Accommodations Near the Strip
For those looking for a more economical stay in Gatlinburg, Econo Suites provides comfortable accommodations near the Strip at an affordable price.
Located near the bustling Gatlinburg strip, this hotel offers family deluxe rooms with well-decorated interiors and quality service at affordable rates.
Staying downtown gives you access to countless popular attractions, delicious dining options, and a number of shopping experiences for visitors of all ages.
- Convenient Location: Econo Suites is situated just minutes away from top attractions like Gatlinburg Skylift Park, Ober Gatlinburg, and the entrance to Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
- Amenities: Guests can enjoy amenities such as free WiFi, complimentary breakfast, an outdoor pool area perfect for relaxation after a day of exploring Pigeon Forge or hiking in the nearby mountains, and private balconies in some rooms.
- Dining Options: With its prime location, on-site dining isn’t necessary; however, there are numerous restaurants within walking distance offering various cuisines catering to every taste bud, including the on-site restaurant, The Fox and Parrot Tavern.
- Friendly Service: The staff at Econo Suites pride themselves on providing excellent customer service, ensuring guests have comfortable and enjoyable stays while visiting this beautiful mountain town.
Econo Suites is an ideal destination for those seeking budget-friendly lodgings with convenient access to the many attractions of Gatlinburg.
Is it Better to Stay in a Hotel or Cabin in Gatlinburg?
Whether to stay in a hotel or cabin depends on personal preferences and travel needs. Hotels offer convenience, proximity to attractions, and various amenities.
Cabins provide privacy, more space, and a closer connection with nature. Consider your budget, group size, desired amenities, and location when making your decision.
What Hotels Were Destroyed in Gatlinburg Fire?
The 2016 wildfires affected several properties in the area; however, most of the major hotels remained intact.
Some smaller lodging establishments experienced damage but have since been rebuilt or renovated.
For an updated list of accommodations available for booking after the fires, click here.
What is the Main Strip in Gatlinburg Called?
The main strip in Gatlinburg is known as Parkway (US Highway 441).
It runs through downtown Gatlinburg from north to south connecting Sevierville and Pigeon Forge with Great Smoky Mountains National Park entrance.
Why Did Gatlinburg TN Almost Not End Up in Tennessee?
Gatlinburg’s location near the border between North Carolina and Tennessee led to disputes over state boundaries during its early history.
In 1796 when Tennessee became a state (source), surveyors made errors while marking borders resulting in boundary uncertainties that persisted until resolved by Supreme Court decisions (source) in the early 1900s.